Beef Kew with Asparagus
The stir-fry technique works perfectly with rib-eye steak, which is cut into pieces and coated with egg white and cornstarch. Shiitake mushrooms and tender-crisp asparagus spears accompany the steak.
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Dark Soy Sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Chicken Stock - 1/2 cup
- Sesame Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Oyster Sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Cornstarch - 2 tablespoons
- Asparagus spears - 10 to 12 fresh
- Water - 4 cups
- Beef Rib-eye Steaks - one, 16-ounce
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Dash of freshly ground pepper
- Egg White - 1
- Cornstarch - 1 teaspoon
- Sherry - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms - 4 sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Soy Sauce - 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Ginger - two, 1-1/4-inch-thick slices
- Green Onions - 2 tablespoons, chopped, white part only
- Garlic - 1 tablespoon, chopped
To make the sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a small non-aluminum bowl. Set aside.
Heat 4 cups water to the boiling point in a wok. Cook the asparagus for 1 minute. Drain and place in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
Remove the fat from the steak. Cut the steak into 1-1/4-inch pieces. Combine 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, egg white, and cornstarch. Toss the steak with the mixture and let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat a wok over high heat. Add 1/4 cup sherry. Reheat the asparagus in the sherry for 30 seconds. Season the asparagus with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove the asparagus from the wok and spread on a plate.
In a clean wok over high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Saute the mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup sherry, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Cook for 10 to 15 seconds. Remove the mushrooms.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok. Add the steak pieces and cook quickly, stirring and tossing. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat when it is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ginger, onions, and garlic to the wok. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Return the meat to the wok. Add the reserved mushrooms and the sauce. Stir to combine ingredients. Serve the beef mixture over the asparagus.