Bourbon Lacquered Quail
Lady apple and Foie Gras stuffed quail,
bacon braised cabbage and persimmon jam
with Basil Hayden bourbon-molasses glaze
- Quail - 4-6 oz semi-boneless
- Lady Apple and Foie Gras Cornbread Stuffing
- Lady Apples - 8 each (1 cup) (alt. Granny Smith), peeled, cored and sliced
- Cornbread - 1 # medium dice (see Jalapeño Cornbread recipe)
- Yellow Onion - 1/3 cup small diced
- Green Bell Pepper - 1/3 cup small diced
- Celery - 1/3 cup small diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Foie Gras - 2 oz small diced
- Fresh Herbs - 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (thyme, sage, and parsley)
- Jalapeño Cornbread
- All Purpose Flour
- Salt - 1 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking Soda - 2 oz
- Sugar - 5 oz
- Eggs - 3
- Buttermilk - 2 ½ cups
- Butter - 4 oz whole, diced small
- Jalepenos - 4, small dice
- Red Pepper - 1, diced
- Sour Cream - ¾ cup
- Bacon Braised Cabbage
- Green Cabbage - ½ head, shaved
- Bacon - 4 oz. small diced
- Onion - ½ cup, julienne
- Gin - 2 oz
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cane Vinegar
- Bourbon-Molasses Glaze
- Basil Hayden Bourbon - 4 oz
- Chicory Coffee - ½ cup prepared
- Molasses - ½ cup
- Cane syrup - ½ cup
- Quail Wings - Roasted
- Persimmon Jam
- Persimmon - 1 cup diced
- Cane Vinegar - ½ cup
- Cane syrup - ½ cup
4-6oz semi-boneless Quail
Clip wings (save for sauce)
Split the quail down the back (breast should be whole)
Leave legs on for presentation
Preheat oven to 375
Season with Creole Seasoning and rub with vegetable oil
Lay skin side down on a tray or work surface
Put balls of stuffing (see Lady Apple and Foie Gras Cornbread Stuffing) on top of Quail and turn Quail upside down over the stuffing balls.
Set Quail on a sheet tray. Cook at 375 for about 18 minutes, until internal temperature of stuffing is 145.
Brush Quail with bourbon-molasses glaze and return to oven for 1-2 minutes.
Remove Quail from oven, brush with glaze again and let rest.
Lady Apple and Foie Gras Cornbread Stuffing:
Place oil in a hot braising pan and render foie gras
Toast garlic and sweat onion, pepper and celery.
Season with creole seasoning. Add apples and cook until soft.
Fold in cornbread and herbs.
Cool and form into 4 equal balls.
Sift dry ingredients.
Whip eggs with wet ingredients, add diced vegetables.
Fold in dry ingredients.
Cook in buttered mold at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on mold.
Bacon Braised Cabbage:
Render bacon in a skillet. Add onion and cabbage.
Deglaze with Gin, season with salt, pepper and a splash of cane vinegar.
Cook until cabbage is tender and slightly dry.
Place Quail wings in a hot medium sauce pot. Deglaze with bourbon to remove alcohol. Add all other ingredients. Reduce by ½. Skim to remove impurities. Pass through a chinois. Discard wings. Let cool slightly to thicken.
Boil all ingredients in a small sauce pot, until persimmon is tender. Puree in a blender until smooth, strain through a chinois back into the sauce pot. Reduce by ½ over low heat. Remove from heat.
Place braised cabbage in the center of the plate. Place the quail over the cabbage and brush with glaze. Garnish the outer part of the plate with more bourbon-molasses glaze and persimmon jam.