Broiled Baby Lamb Chops
Lamb chops crusted with layers of cheese, herbs, and breadcrumbs are served in a nest of callaloo, traditional Caribbean greens available in some Latin American groceries. You may substitute spinach for the pepper-spiked nest of greens if you wish.
- Lamb Chops
- Lamb Chops - 12, cut from two racks, frenched
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Feta Cheese - 4 ounces, crumbled
- Scallion (green onion) - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Thyme - 1 tablespoon, chopped, fresh
- Dry Bread Crumbs - 1/4 cup
- Parsley - 1/4 cup, chopped, fresh
- Vinaigrette Salad Dressing - 3 tablespoons, prepared
- Vegetable Nest
- Unsalted Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Yellow or sweet onion - 1 cup, julienned
- Tomato - 1 large, diced
- Scotch bonnet chili pepper - 1 teaspoon, minced, fresh (alt. 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper)
- Callaloo - 10 ounces, fresh (alt. spinach leaves, stems discarded)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shallots - 12 whole., roasted or sauteed until tender
- Parsley - 3 tablespoons, chopped, fresh
To make the lamb chops: Place lamb chops on broiler pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat source for 5 minutes. Remove from broiler; turn chops over.
Combine cheese, scallion and thyme; mix well. Press mixture evenly over chops; top with bread crumbs and parsley and drizzle with vinaigrette. Return to broiler; broil 3 to 4 minutes or until topping is brown and lamb is pink in center.
To make the vegetable nest: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes. Add tomato and chili pepper; saute 3 minutes. Blanch callaloo leaves in boiling water just until wilted. Drain and add to skillet. Turn mixture with tongs until well combined and hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve: Arrange vegetable mixture in center of four warmed dinner plates forming a nest. Arrange three lamb chops around nest with the bones forming a pyramid over nest. Garnish each plate with three shallots and sprinkle edges of plates with chopped parsley.