Pit Grilled Cornish Hens with Voodoo Barbecue Sauce
When a Louisiana chef dubs a barbecue sauce “voodoo,” watch out! Multiply this recipe to be sure you have enough grilled Cornish hens on hand, because when this dish is featured at a cookout, folks come back for more. Yes, you could substitute chicken. And, yes, it’s great with potato salad and cole slaw.
- Cornish Hens - four, 1-pound
- Cooking Oil - 1/4 cup
- Dry white wine - 1/2 cup
- Garlic Clove - 1, minced
- Onion - 1, minced
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coarsely ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried Thyme - 1/4 teaspoon
- Canned Chipotle Chilies - 3 to 4
- Hickory Chips - 1 cup
- Voodoo Barbecue Sauce - (recipe follows)
- Voodoo Barbecue Sauce (Makes 3 quarts)
- Ketchup - 8 cups (64 ounces)
- Molasses - 1 cup
- Vinegar - 1/2 cup
- Tabasco sauce or other hot pepper sauce - 1/2 cup
- Creole mustard or Dijon-type mustard - 1 cup
- Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup, packed
- Liquid smoke (optional) - 5 tablespoons
- Worcestershire sauce - 3 tablespoons
- Garlic - 2 tablespoon, minced
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Bottle of Voodoo or other dark beer - 12-ounce
Cut the tail from the hens. Cut through the breast cavity, cut around the backbone, and separate the leg bone. Repeat the procedure with the other half of the hen, and remove the backbone. Split all hens in this fashion.
To make the marinade: Mix together all ingredients and chill for several hours in a covered jar. Shake well.
Place the hens in a non-aluminum baking dish and pour the marinade over them. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours, turning at least once during this time period. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
Light a charcoal or gas grill. When the coals are hot, sprinkle the dry hickory chips over the coals. Wipe the cooking grill with oil and place the hens on the grill. Sear for 3 minutes, turn with tongs, and sear on the other side. Baste with Voodoo Barbecue Sauce. Cover the grill, leaving bottom and top holes open, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn the hens, baste with barbecue sauce, cover again, and cook 10 minutes. Remove from grill and base on both sides.
Voodoo Barbecue Sauce
Combine all ingredients. Sauce may be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, and may be used for other barbecue meats.