Spicy Thai Beef Salad with Lemongrass-Mint Vinaigrette with Toasted Macadamia Nuts
Ginger is the piquant note in the marinade, the vinaigrette, and the vegetables for this entree salad. The green and stir-fry are topped with marinated seared steak slices.
- Hoisin sauce - 1/2 cup
- Soy Sauce - 2 tablespoons
- Ginger - 1/2 tablespoon, minced fresh
- Red Wine Vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Sugar - 2 tablespoons
- New York Strip Steaks - Four 4-ounce
- Asian Sesame Oil - 3 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Lemongrass-Mint Vinaigrette
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Lemongrass - 1 teaspoon, minced
- Shallots - 1 teaspoon, minced
- Ginger - 1 teaspoon, minced fresh
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Kaffir Lime Leaves - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
- Soy Sauce - 1/2 teaspoon
- Thai fish sauce - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice - 2 tablespoons fresh
- Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Bean sprouts - 1/2 cup, fresh
- Radicchio - 1/4 cup, shredded
- Maui Onion - 1/2 (alt. other sweet white onion), cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- Ginger - 1 tablespoon, minced fresh
- Garlic - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Mint - 20 fresh leaves
- Basil - 20 fresh leaves
- Watercress - 1/2 cup sprigs, chopped
- Shiitake Mushrooms - 1/2 cup, stemmed and sliced
- Chinese bean thread noodles - 2 oz
- Mixed baby greens - 4 handfuls (about 4 ounces)
- Macadamia nuts - 2 tablespoons, toasted and crushed
To make the marinade: In a shallow dish, combine all the marinade ingredients. Add the steak strips and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. In a large saute pan or skillet over high heat, heat the sesame oil and saute the steak for 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using slotted spoon, transfer the steak to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes.
To make the vinaigrette: In the same pan over high heat, heat the olive oil and saute the lemongrass, shallot, ginger, garlic, and lime leaves for about 10 seconds, or until lightly browned. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Set aside.
To make the stir-fry: In a large saute pan or skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil and saute all of the ingredients except the noodles for 1 minute, tossing frequently. Add the noodles and cook 1 minute. Set aside.
To serve: Slice the steak into 1- to 2-inch strips. Divide the salad greens among 4 salad plates. Divide the stir-fry sprout mixture over the greens, then top with beef strips. Drizzle vinaigrette around the salads and garnish with macadamia nuts.