Rich Davis’ Barbecued Baked Beans
Dr. Rich Davis takes a shortcut on his way to great barbecued beans. Beginning with canned pork and beans, he adds things like bacon, barbecue sauce, and apple to create a barbecue side dish that’s crispy on top, creamy underneath, and packed with flavor.
- Pork and Beans - two, 16-ounce cans
- Barbecue Sauce - 3/4 cup, (Davis uses K.C. Masterpiece Original, of course)
- Golden raisins - 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Ground Cumin - 1 teaspoon
- Onion - 1 medium, chopped
- Tart Apples - 1, peeled and chopped
- Heavily Smoked Bacon - 4 strips, cooked crisp and crumbled (alt. 3 tablespoons butter or margarine)
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Remove, stir, and serve.