Gratin of Berries with Sweet Marsala Sabayon
This is one of those blissfully easy recipes that goes from oven to table in the same dish. A good thing it’s easy because its table-life, once served, is about two minutes, or shorter, depending upon your guests. Other fruits may be used in season.
- Sweet Marsala Sabayon
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Marsala wine or Sweet Sherry - 1 cup, sweet, plus more for sprinkling
- Egg Yolks - 8
- Sponge cake - Four, 4-inch slices
- Chocolate Truffles - 4 (optional)
- Fresh strawberries - 1 cup, sliced
- Fresh Raspberries - 1 cup
- Fresh Blueberries - 1 cup
- Fresh Blackberries - 1 cup
- Mint sprigs - 4, for garnish
Preheat the broiler to high. Place the sugar, Marsala or sherry, and egg yolks in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Whisk until thickened and doubled in volume, 4 to 5 minutes. Place a slice of sponge cake in each of four ovenproof gratin dishes and sprinkle with Marsala or sherry. Place a truffle on each cake if you are using them. Mound berries over the cake. Cover the fruit with the sabayon and broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Decorate with mint sprigs and serve immediately.