Asparagus and Prosciutto Salad
The smoky flavor of the grilled asparagus complements prosciutto in this simple-to-make, but elegant, salad. The asparagus can be grilled early and rewarmed in the oven just before serving.
- Fresh asparagus spears - 20 to 30 medium, blanched
- Arugula - 4 ounces (4 handfuls), washed and spun dry
- Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
- Balsamic Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prosciutto - 8 slices, sliced paper-thin
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese - 2 to 3 ounces
Light a charcoal grill or gas grill; if using charcoal, let the fire burn down until the coals are covered with white ash. Put a little oil in your hands and rub it over the asparagus spears. Grill the spears 3 to 5 minutes, until softened, turning to roast all sides.
Mound the arugula on the serving plates and drizzle with the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Lay two prosciutto slices over each salad. Divide the asparagus spears between the plates and arrange over the top. Shave the cheese over the asparagus.