Beef with Watercress Soup
This is a simple soup, strips of marinated steak cooked in chicken broth with peppery watercress, soy sauce, and a little oil. It can go from shelf to table in 15 minutes, faster if you’ve precut the steak.
- Flank steak - 6 ounces, 6 ounces flank steak, cut in 1-1/2-inch-wide strips
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Cornstarch - 1 teaspoon
- Light soy sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Rice wine or Sherry - 1 teaspoon
- Egg White - 1/2
- Watercress - 2 bunches
- Chicken broth - 1 quart
- Light soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Marinate the beef in the salt, cornstarch, soy, oil, rice wine, and egg white for 20 to 30 minutes. Clean the watercress thoroughly and chop off the roots. Cut into 1-inch lengths.
In a saucepan or wok, bring the broth to a boil. Add the beef and watercress. Bring to a boil again. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve.