Celery and Watercress Salad with Anchovy Dressing
Dressing that combines anchovies, garlic, mustard, and the usual dressing suspects strikes sparks on a simple salad of watercress, celery, mushrooms, carrot, and onion. If anchovy seems a bit unusual for a salad dressing, just remember “Green Goddess,” another dressing with anchovies.
- Watercress - 2 bunches, stemmed
- Celery Stalk - 1, julienned
- Mushrooms - 6, julienned
- Carrot - 1, julienned
- Onion - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Anchovies - 2
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Dijon mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Garlic Cloves - 2, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Red Wine Vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Parsley - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Olive Oil - 6 to 8 tablespoons
Arrange the watercress in a bowl with the celery, mushrooms, carrot, and onion. Mash the anchovies to a paste with the salt. Heat a skillet very hot and add the paste; stir for 30 seconds. Put the paste in a warm bowl. Add the garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Whisk to blend, then add the parsley. Whisking steadily, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until the mixture emulsifies. Drizzle a little dressing over the greens in the bowl and toss. Divide the salad among chilled salad plates and drizzle again with dressing.