- Unsalted Butter - 3 tablespoons
- All-Purpose Flour - 3 tablespoons
- Lump Crabmeat - 4 ounces (1/2 cup), picked over for shells
- Milk - 1 cup
- Parmesan Cheese - 4 tablespoons, grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Dash of Tabasco sauce - (alt. 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- Eggs - 5, separated
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
Stir the butter and flour together in a saucepan over low heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth; do not brown. Stir in the crabmeat. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly so that the sauce does not lump. Add half the Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and Tabasco. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then remove from heat. Fold the egg yolks into the crabmeat mixture. Set aside; keep warm.
Preheat the oven to 425 F. Generously butter one 1-quart or four 1/2-cup soufflé molds. Coat the inside of the molds with the remaining grated Parmesan cheese. Beat the egg whites to firm peaks. Fold one-fourth of the whites into the crabmeat mixture to lighten it. Gently fold the remaining egg whites into the mixture, rotating the bowl as they are incorporated. Fill the molds and clean any mixture from the sides. Place in the oven and bake 30 minutes, or until the soufflés are golden brown and have risen. Do not open the door during baking. Serve immediately.