Red and White Sashimi Salad
Red snapper and ahi tuna strips, shaved in transparent pieces from blocks of the fish, are tossed with Asian-accented ingredients and soy vinaigrette. This fresh-tasting salad is sparked with the sharp bite of chilies and ginger. The recipe could also serve two as an entree.
- Soy Vinaigrette
- Water - 1 Cup
- Limes - Juice, pulp, and grated zest of 2 limes
- Soy Sauce - 1 cup
- Canola oil - 1 cup
- Plain rice wine vinegar - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Mirin - 1 cup (alt. sweet sherry)
- Garlic - 1/2 head
- Ginger - 1 tablespoon, grated fresh
- Asian Sesame Oil - 1-1/2 teaspoons
- Hawaiian Chilies - 2 (alt. Thai chilies), seeded and minced
- Wonton Garnish
- Peanut Oil - 2 cups
- Wonton wrappers - 8 square, cut into julienne
- Sashimi-grade ahi tuna - 3 oz
- Sashimi-grade onaga (red snapper) - 3 oz
- Won bok (napa cabbage) - 2 cups, shredded
- Carrot - 1/2 large, peeled and julienned
- Snow Peas - 1 cup, julienned
- Red Cabbage - 1/2 cup shredded
- Hawaii Chili - 1/4 (alt. Thai chili), seeded and minced
- Kaffir Lime Leaves - 2 fresh, thinly sliced
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs
- Green Onion - 1 whole small, cut into julienne
- Macadamia nuts - 1/4 cup, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Cilantro - 1 tablespoon chopped fresh leaves
- Wasabi Paste - 2 teaspoons
To make the vinaigrette: Scoop the pulp out of the limes with a small sharp knife. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve before using. May be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To prepare the garnish: In a wok over medium-high heat, heat the oil until a wonton strip sizzles and rises to the top when submerged. Add the wonton strips and cook until lightly browned and crisp, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
To prepare the salad: With a very sharp chef’s knife or Chinese cleaver, cut the ahi into 1-by-2-inch blocks, then slice into very thin, nearly transparent slices. Repeat with the onaga (snapper). In a large bowl, toss the won bok, carrot, snow peas, and cabbage together. Add the onaga, chili, lime leaves, cilantro, and green onion; toss.
To serve: Divide the salad among 4 plates, then fan slices of ahi around the top. Garnish each serving with macadamia nuts and cilantro. Ladle vinaigrette on the plate around the greens and place 1/4-inch dabs of wasabi evenly around the plate. Sprinkle with wonton strips.