Sauteed Yellowfin Tuna Salad
In the hands of James Beard 2003 “Best Chef” Eric Ripert, the humble tuna salad achieves perfection . Thin seared slices of tuna are arranged on a bed of greens and chopped mixed herbs, dressed with truffle vinaigrette. The tuna is seasoned with rock salt, pepper, and thyme, then seared; when sliced, the red center is revealed, surrounded by the seared edges. Infused truffle oil and balsamic vinegar add a final touch to the plates.
- Black Truffle - 1, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 7 tablespoons
- Balsamic Vinegar - 3 tablespoons
- Truffle juice - 1 tablespoon
- Dijon mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Tuna - One 12-ounce loin, about 1 inch thick
- Ground rock salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Thyme - 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Assorted Greens - 4 cups
- Mixed herbs - 1 cup, chopped (chervil, mint, basil, dill, tarragon, and parsley)
- Balsamic Vinegar - 2 tablespoons
To prepare the vinaigrette: Place the chopped truffle in the oil and warm over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside and let the truffle infuse the oil. Strain, reserving the chopped truffle and the infused oil separately. When the oil is again room temperature, proceed with the recipe.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, truffle juice, and mustard. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the infused truffle oil, a little at a time, until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To prepare the tuna: Season the tuna on both sides with thyme, rock salt, and pepper. Spoon the olive oil over the tuna.
Preheat a large grill pan, saute pan, or skillet over high heat. Sear the tuna for 1 minute; turn and sear for 45 seconds. Remove from heat.
To prepare the salad: Toss the greens with the chopped mixed herbs and reserved chopped truffle. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
To serve: Cut the tuna into thin slices; it will be very rare in the center. Mound dressed greens in the center of each salad place. Arrange slices of tuna on one side of the salad mixture. Drizzle the remaining infused truffle oil and balsamic vinegar around the tuna.