Fresh pink shrimp are stir-fried with vegetables, a classic Chinese preparation. Ginger and garlic flavor the dish.
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
- Oyster Sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Light Soy Sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Cornstarch - 1 1/2 teaspoons, dissolved in 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Dash of freshly ground white pepper
- Shrimp and Vegetables
- Shrimp - 12 oz medium or large, peeled and deveined
- Cornstarch - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Egg White - 1/2, beaten
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - Pinch
- Freshly ground white pepper - Pinch
- Oil - 2 cups
- Oil - 3 tablespoons
- Ginger - 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, fresh minced
- Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon, minced
- Celery - 1/2 cup chopped
- Straw Mushrooms - 1/2 cup
- Baby Corn - 1/2 cup, halved
- Carrot - 1, sliced diagonally
- Snow Peas - 1/2 cup, strings removed
- Rice wine - 2 tablespoons (alt. sherry)
To prepare the gravy: Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
To prepare the shrimp and vegetables: Mix the shrimp with the cornstarch, egg white, 1 tablespoon of oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat, cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Heat 2 cups of oil in a wok. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until they are almost completely cooked, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp and place on a plate; drain the wok. Put the wok back over medium-heat and add the 3 tablespoons of oil. Toss in the ginger and garlic. Put all the vegetables in the wok and stir-fry for 90 seconds. Add the shrimp. Sprinkle with rice wine or sherry and stir for another 30 seconds. Add the gravy mixture and stir gently until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat immediately and serve.