Sweet Potato and Crabmeat Napoleon
Tall stacks of crabmeat and sweet potato crisps are topped with creme fraiche laced with choupiquette caviar. Capers, shaved egg white and egg yolk, and chives garnish.
- Sweet Potato Crisps
- Sweet potatoes - 1 large or 2 medium, peeled
- Clarified Butter (see Basics) - 4 ounces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Ravigôte Sauce
- Tarragon - 1 tablespoon
- Capers - 1 tablespoon
- Egg Yolk - 1
- Dijon mustard - 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice - 1 tablespoon
- Parsley - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Water - 1 tablespoon
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Lump crab meat - 1 pound, jumbo, picked over to remove any shell
- Ravigôte Sauce (recipe above)
- Choupiquette caviar - 4 tablespoons
- Crème Fraîche - 8 ounces (alt. sour cream thinned with milk and lemon juice)
- Red Onion - 2 tablespoons, finely diced
- Chives - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Chives - 8, whole
- Capers - 2 tablespoons, non-pariel
- Eggs - 2, boiled, yolk and white chopped separately
To make the sweet potato crisps: Preheat the oven to 300 F. Brush a cookie sheet with melted butter. Slice the sweet potato 1/16-inch thick on a mandolin or V-slicer. Make 16 slices. Spread the slices on the cookie sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake, turning occasionally until browned on there edges and crisp, about 45 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the ravigôte sauce: Combine all ingredients except the oil in a blender and pulse until chopped and mixed. Pulsing, drizzle in the olive oil until mixed. Or, whisk together, a little at a time, until thoroughly blended.
To prepare the crab: Toss the crabmeat in the ravigote sauce. Fold the caviar into the creme fraiche. Place a small spoonful of creme fraiche in the center of each plate and anchor a potato crisp on the cream. Put a spoonful of crabmeat on each potato crisp, and top with another potato crisp. Continue, alternating crabmeat and potato crisps, until the stacks are four crisps high. End with a potato crisp. Place a spoonful of onion and chive on top of each. Add a large dollop of crème fraiîche to the tops. Garnish with chives, capers, and grated egg white and yolk.