Warm Peppered Tuna Steak Salad with Basil and Roasted Pepper Vinaigrette
A simple preparation for an elegant result: mixed salad greens dressed with a vinaigrette which can be made ahead of time are topped with slices of seared rare tuna. The tuna is coated with bread crumbs and cracked pepper, and cut open to reveal the red centers. Basil leaves and chives garnish.
- Basil and Sweet Roasted Pepper Vinaigrette
- Red Bell Peppers - 1, roasted and seeded
- Yellow Bell Pepper - 1, roasted and seeded
- Basil - 1/4 cup fresh leaves, roughly chopped
- Shallots - 2, minced
- Nicoise Olives - 6, chopped
- Balsamic Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1 cup
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Black Pepper - 2 oz, freshly cracked
- Bread Crumbs - 2 oz
- Tuna Steaks - Two 6-ounce
- Salt - To taste
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Mixed salad greens - 2 cups
- Cherry Tomatoes - 2 (red and yellow cherry or pear tomatoes)
- Basil - 4 leaves
- Chives - 16 whole
To prepare the vinaigrette: Warm the olive oil in a small pan over low heat. Off the heat, whisk in the vinegar until completely emulsified. Add the peppers, basil, shallots, and olives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Will keep several days in a covered jar.
To prepare the tuna: Combine the pepper and bread crumbs. Dredge the tuna steaks in the mixture. Sprinkle with salt. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat and add the tuna steaks. Saute 1-1/2 minutes on each side for rare, remove with a spatula, and drain on paper towels. Let cool slightly.
To serve: Whisk the vinaigrette again. Toss the salad greens with the vinaigrette, reserving 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette. Mound greens on each plate. Slice the tuna, placing two slices over each salad. Drizzle with reserved vinaigrette. Top with a basil leaf and whole chives.