Ahi Wellington Kailua on Hearts of Palm with Citrus-Herb Butter
This light twist on classic Beef Wellington uses ahi tuna and a pate made with mushrooms instead of liver. The Asian ingredients give the dish a completely new taste. The pate could also make an appearance at a party as an appetizer on toast rounds.
- Marinated Vegetables
- Mirin or Sweet sherry - 1/4 cup
- Bonito flakes - 1 cup
- Soy Sauce - 1/4 cup
- Hot Water - 4 cups
- Carrot - 1, peeled and cut into julienne
- Zucchini - 1, cut into julienne
- Mushroom Pate
- Bacon slices - 12, minced
- Shallots - 4, minced
- Mushrooms - 10 ounces, sliced
- Brandy - 1 cup
- Cajun spice mix - 1 teaspoon
- Macadamia nut or olive oil - 1/4 cup
- Ahi Tuna Blocks - 3 pounds
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Puff Pastry - 12 ounces
- Shiso or inner romaine lettuce leaves - 12 to 15
- Egg White - 1, lightly beaten
- Hhearts of Palm - 1 pound (2 cups), cut into crosswise slices
- Citrus-Herb Butter (see Basics) - 1/2 cup
- Wasabi-Soy Sauce
- Wasabi Powder - 1 tablespoon
- Soy Sauce - 1 cup
- Jackfruit extract or papaya puree - 1/4 cup
- Chili pepper water (see Basics) - 1/4 cup
- Chives - 24
- Fresh spinach leaves - 12
- Fresh flowers - 4
To make the marinated vegetables: In a large saucepan, combine the mirin or sherry, bonito flakes, soy sauce, and water. Bring to a slow boil and add the carrot and zucchini. Blanch for 30 seconds, drain, and plunge the vegetables into cold water. Drain and set aside.
To make the mushroom pate: In a medium saute pan or skillet cook the bacon and shallots over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered. Add the mushrooms and brandy and cook until tender. While still hot, put the mixture in a blender or food processor and puree. Spread on parchment or waxed paper and let cool for 15 minutes.
To blacken the fish: Combine the spice mix and macadamia nut oil. Coat the ahi blocks with the spice paste. In a large saute pan or skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil and sear the fish for 15 to 20 seconds on each side. The center of the fish will be raw.
To assemble: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lay the puff pastry dough flat. Spread the center third of the pastry with a 1/4-inch-thick layer of the mushroom paste. Lay half the shiso or romaine leaves on top. Layer with half the blanched vegetables. Place the seared ahi on the vegetables. Top with the rest of the vegetables and cover with the remaining leaves. Wrap the dough around to encase the entire filling. Place the Wellington on an oiled baking sheet, seam-side down. Brush the surface with the egg white. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
To serve: Divide the hearts of palm among 4 plates. In a small saute pan or skillet, melt the citrus-herb butter over low heat and pour over the hearts of palm. Slice the Wellington into 2-inch pieces and place on top of the hearts of palm. Whisk the sauce ingredients together and spoon some onto each plate. Tuck 6 chives into the edge of the crust of each Wellington, standing the chives vertically, and garnish with spinach leaves and flowers.