Artichoke and Hearts of Palm Salad
Easy does it in preparing this perfectly beautiful salad that looks a little bit like Mardi Gras confetti. Although the preparation is simple, the result is a show-stopping salad that makes a dramatic first course.
- Citrus Vinaigrette
- Fresh lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Orange Juice - 2 tablespoons
- Red Wine Vinegar - 4 tablespoons
- Salad oil - 1/2 cup
- Shallot - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- White Mushrooms - 1 cup (3 ounces) quartered
- Artichoke Hearts - 6 to 8 cooked, reserve the leaves
- Hearts of Palm - 1 cup, diced or julienned (16-ounce can)
- Carrots - 1 cup, julienned, peeled
- Romaine Lettuce leaves - 4 cups, separated and cut into shreds
- Cherry Tomatoes - 16, stemmed and quartered
To make the vinaigrette: Whisk all the ingredients together until emulsified.
To make the salad: In a salad bowl, combine the mushrooms, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, carrots, and 3/4 cup of the citrus vinaigrette. Let stand for 1 hour.
To serve: Line the rims of 4 plates with the reserved artichoke leaves. In the center of each plate place 1/2 cup of lettuce. Top each with one fourth of the marinated vegetable mixture. Garnish with tomatoes and drizzle some of the remaining vinaigrette over the artichoke leaves.