Caribbean Lobster Tail Orquijdee
Lobster and fresh vegetables are sauteed, one after the other, then sauced with a mixture that includes vanilla beans, apple cider vinegar, butter, and lime or lemon juice -- cooked together in the pan in which the lobster tails were cooked. The lobster tail halves are arranged over the vegetables, then drizzled with the sauce and garnished with basil or other fresh herbs.
- Lobster and Vegetables
- Lobster Tails - 4 (12 ounce), preferably Caribbean, thawed if frozen
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Unsalted Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Chayote Squash - 1, peeled, seeded and julienned
- Carrots - 2, large, julienned
- Red Onion - 1 medium, julienned
- Vanilla Beans - 2 whole, cut crosswise in half
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Dry white wine - 1/2 cup
- Water - 2 tablespoons
- Unsalted Butter - 4 tablespoons
- Lime or lemon juice - 2 teaspoons, fresh
- Basil or other herb sprigs
For the lobster and vegetables: Split the lobster tails in half lengthwise; discard vein. Sprinkle cut sides of tails lightly with the salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. In batches, add tails, cut side down, and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer tails as they are browned to a roasting pan and roast in 350 F oven until opaque, about 10 minutes. (Do not wash skillet.)
Meanwhile, in another skillet, melt the butter and saute the julienned vegetables over medium heat until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and keep warm while preparing sauce.
For the sauce: Add vanilla beans to the skillet used to cook the lobster tails and deglaze the pan with the vinegar. Add wine and water and boil gently until liquid is reduced by half. Whisk in the butter until melted and add the lime juice. Remove the lobster tails from their shells; add to skillet to heat through.
To serve: Arrange sauteed vegetables in four shallow bowls. Place lobster tails over vegetables and drizzle with the sauce. Garnish each serving with one of the halved vanilla beans and a basil sprig.