Crisp bagel chips stacked with crabmeat form delicious appetizer towers. The fresh taste of the crab combines well with the clean taste of cucumber slices, layered on the bagel chips.
- Fresh Crab Meat - 3 pounds, picked over
- Red Pepper - 1/4 cup, finely diced
- Chives - 2 tablespoons, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 cups, preferably homemade
- Crème Fraiche - 2 cups
- Lemon zest - 2 tablespoons
- Lime Zest - 2 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cucumbers - 3
- Olive Oil - 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup)
- Bagel chips - 12
- Leon Juice - 1 lemon
- Cool Water - 1 cup
- Avocados - 2
- Grape Tomatoes - 8, halved
- Flat Parsley Sprigs - 4
- Extra virgin olive oil - for drizzling
- Balsamic Vinegar - for drizzling
In a non-aluminum bowl, lightly toss the crabmeat, pepper, chives, mayonnaise, crème fraiche, and zests. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Slice the cucumbers very thin and arrange in overlapping slices on top of the bagel chips. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium skillet and toast the bagel chips until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Mix the lemon juice and cool water in a small bowl. Peel, pit, and cut the avocados into 1/2-inch dice, dipping the pieces in the lemon water to prevent discoloration. Drain and toss with a little of the olive oil and season with salt, and pepper. Set aside.
To serve: Arrange three bagel chips on each appetizer plate. Top each with two tablespoons of the crabmeat mixture. Repeat with a second bagel chip and crab meat, then top each with a final bagel chip and crown with a little more crabmeat. Garnish the plates with diced avocado, tomato halves, and parsley sprigs. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.