Cool as the proverbial — well, cucumber — this delicious soup combines the flavors of cucumbers, celery, and leeks with a smooth and flavorful base that contains chicken stock, cream, and sour cream. Dill sprigs and sprinkles of caviar add contrast for the presentation.
- Cucumber - 3 medium
- Celery - 1 stalk
- Leek - 1 large
- Chicken Stock - 3 cups (alt. canned chicken broth)
- Bay Leaf - 1
- All-Purpose Flour - 2 tablespoons
- Butter - 2 tablespoons, softened (start with half)
- Sour Cream - 1/2 cup, plus additional for garnish (alt. creme fraiche)
- Heavy Cream - 1/4 cup (alt. additional sour cream or creme fraiche)
- Dill - 2 tablespoons, chopped, fresh, plus additional for garnish
- Lime Juice - 1 tablespoon fresh
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 3/4 teaspoon
- White Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon, ground
- Black caviar
- Dill sprigs
Peel, seed and dice two of the cucumbers. Place in food processor; process until pureed; transfer mixture to a large saucepan. Chop celery stalk and white part of leek; place in food processor. Process until very finely chopped; add to saucepan. Add chicken stock and bay leaf to saucepan; bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
Combine flour and butter mixing until well blended. Add to soup; simmer 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
Discard bay leaf; stir cream and sour cream into soup. Peel, seed and coarsely shred remaining cucumber; stir into soup. Stir in dill, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and chill until cold.
To serve: Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with a spoonful of sour cream and caviar. Sprinkle with additional dill.