Fresh Red Tuna Tartare
Perfect, sushi-grade tuna is the basis for this dish, and it must be fresh. The lovely presentation creates a torte, iced with sour cream and topped with a cherry tomato. The dish may be made ahead of time and set to chill; when ready, lift the molds and add the garnish.
- Red Tuna - 1-1/2 pounds, fresh, cut in 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Lime Juice - 12 limes
- Capers - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Cornichons - 12, chopped (alt. other tiny dill pickles)
- Shallots - 2, minced
- Ketchup - 1 tablespoon
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Tomato - 1, diced
- Scallions - 1 bunch, minced
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sour Cream - 1/2 cup
- Chives - 8 - 10, minced
- Cherry Tomatoes - 4
- Fresh fennel - 4 sprigs
Mix the tuna, salt and pepper, lime juice, capers, pickles, shallots, ketchup, and mayonnaise, and refrigerate. Mix together the tomato, scallions, olive oil, and salt and pepper, and chill. Place a 5-inch steel ring or piece of PVC pipe about 1-1/2-inches tall in the center of each serving plate. Divide the tuna mixture among the rings and press down slightly. Top the tuna with sour cream and spread to the edges. Chill.
To serve: Lift the molds off the tuna. Place the cherry tomato in the center. Place tablespoonfuls of the tomato mixture around the plates. Garnish the plate with fennel sprigs. Place a cherry tomato on the top of each tuna tartare.