Garlic Crusted Trout with Sweet Pepper and Shrimp Sauce
Prepared concentrated shrimp stock is available frozen from fish markets and, when reconstituted according to package directions, can be a timesaver in preparing the shrimp sauce in this recipe. The crisp garlic bread crumb crust preserves the moistness of tender trout fillets without deep frying.
- Sweet Pepper and Shrimp Sauce
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Tomato - 1, peeled and finely diced
- Red Bell Pepper - 1 roasted, peeled, seeded, deribbed, and finely diced
- Onion - 1/3 cup, finely diced
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Fresh lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- Fresh lime juice - 1 teaspoon
- Shrimp Stock or Bottled Clam juice - 1/4 cup
- Shrimp - 12 to 15 large
- Fresh basil - 1/3 cup, shredded
- Garlic Bread Crumbs
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Romano cheese - 2 tablespoons, grated
- Garlic - 1 teaspoon, minced
- Thyme - 1 teaspoon, minced
- Fresh Parsley - 1 teaspoon, minced
- French bread - 1/3 loaf stale, cubed (2 cups)
- Trout fillets - 4, skinless
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - 3 tablespoons
To make the sauce: In a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the tomato, pepper, onion, salt, and cayenne for 1 minute. Add the lemon and lime juices and shrimp stock. Cook over medium heat until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise and devein. Add the shrimp and basil to the sauce. Cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside off the heat.
To make the coating: Preheat the oven to 500 F or its highest temperature. Place all the ingredients for the coating in a blender or food processor and blend until fine.
To prepare the fillets: Press the trout fillets firmly into the coating to cover evenly. In a large ovenproof saute pan or skillet, heat the oil to smoking and cook the fillets on each side until browned, about 2 minutes for each side. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the crust is crisp.
To serve: Place 1 fillet on each of four serving plates and surround with the sweet pepper and shrimp sauce.