Herb Butter for Steamed Mussels and/or ClamsNovember 24, 2015 • By Great Chefs
Herb Butter for Steamed Mussels and/or Clams
By Great Chefs November 24, 2015
Herbed butter for steamed mussels — or other steamed seafood, if you wish — separates the ordinary from the spectacular. This butter contains tomatoes, wine, onion, lemon juice, and four fresh herbs.
- Salted Butter - 1 pound (4 sticks)
- Garlic Cloves - 1, minced
- Red Onions - 1/2 cup, minced
- Tomatoes - 2 cups, chopped
- Dry white wine - 1/2 cup
- Fresh basil - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Fresh Parsley - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Fresh Tarragon - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Fresh Oregano - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
In a medium casserole or saucepan, melt 1/4 pound of the butter over medium heat. Saute the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, until soft. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the remaining 3/4 pound of butter and heat until the butter is melted. Add the wine, basil, parsley, tarragon, oregano, lemon juice, and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 2 minutes. This is best made ahead and reheated.
To use, pour the herb butter over the steamed mussels.