Kathleen’s Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich with Kathleen’s Virtually No-Fat Chocolate Ice Cream
Hard to believe, but each of these cookies has only 2 grams of fat. Sucanot, which is evaporated cane juice, gives a distinctive molasses-like taste to the cookies. The ice cream is made of mashed overripe bananas, eliminating all the fat! The ice cream should be made a day ahead to give it plenty of time to freeze hard. The ice cream can be made to be eaten by itself; likewise, purchased low-fat frozen yogurt or sorbet can also be used.
- Whole-wheat Flour - 2-1/2 cups
- Baking Soda - 1-1/2 teaspoons
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick), at room temperature
- Banana - 1, pureed in a blender (1/2 cup puree)
- Sucanot (available in natural foods stores) - 3/4 cup
- Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup, lightly packed light
- Vanilla Extract - 1 teaspoon
- Egg Whites - 4
- Non-dairy Chocolate chips (available in natural foods stores) - 8 ounces
- Kathleen’s Virtually No-Fat Chocolate Ice Cream (recipe follows) - 4 scoops
- Bittersweet Chocolate - 4 ounces, melted, or cocoa for dusting (optional)
- Kathleen’s Virtually No-Fat Chocolate Ice Cream (Makes 2 quarts)
- Bananas - 4 pounds slightly overripe bananas, peeled (10 to 15 bananas)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/3 cup
Preheat the oven to 300 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. In a medium bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside. In another medium bowl, beat the butter, banana puree, Sucanot, and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, egg whites, and chips. Stir in one fourth of the reserved dry ingredients, then fold in the remainder until blended. The batter will be thick and chunky.
Scoop about 2 tablespoons of batter for each cookie and drop 5 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool before removing from the pan. The cookies will be chewy; if you prefer them crunchy, bake them at 325 F.
To serve: Place a cookie on each serving plate and top with a scoop of ice cream. Lean another cookie against the ice cream. Drizzle with melted chocolate or dust with cocoa if desired.
Kathleen’s Virtually No-Fat Chocolate Ice Cream
Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper and place the bananas on the paper. Freeze overnight. Remove from the freezer and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the cocoa powder. Pulse until smooth and creamy. If necessary, this can be done in batches. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer’s directions. Pack into a container, seal, and freeze overnight.
-Add 1 teaspoon flavor extract such as almond or peppermint
-Add 1 teaspoon liqueur such as Grand Marnier or creme de menthe
-Add the grated zest of 1/2 orange and 1 cup almonds, crushed