Crispy Sea Scallops Wrapped in Shredded PhylloSeptember 21, 2015 • By Great Chefs
Crispy Sea Scallops Wrapped in Shredded Phyllo
By Great Chefs September 21, 2015
Shredded phyllo — kataifi — resembles a grass skirt and gives these little packets of scallops a Hawaiian look. The rich lobster sauce would be wonderful with any broiled seafood.
- Lobster Sauce
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Lobster or Shrimp Shells - 8 ounces
- Shallots - 2, minced
- Carrot - 1, peeled and finely diced
- Onion - 1, finely diced
- Celery Stalk - 1, finely diced
- Lemon - 1, halved
- White peppercorns - 4, lightly crushed
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Tomato paste - 1 tablespoon
- Dry white wine - 1/2 cup
- Fish or shellfish stock or clam juice - 3 cups
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Sea Scallops - 8
- Fresh Lemongrass - 1 tablespoon, minced (alt. grated lemon zest)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh or thawed kataifi (shredded phyllo) - 1-1/2 pounds
- Won bok (napa cabbage) leaves - 4, green part only, blanched and patted dry (alt. savoy cabbage leaves)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Hawaiian or Thai chilies
- Chili oil for drizzling
To make the sauce: In a heavy, large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the lobster or shrimp shells. Add the shallots, carrot, onion, celery, lemon, peppercorns, and bay leaf and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the tomato paste, white wine, and stock or clam juice. Cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve and discard the solids.
To make the shredded phyllo pouches: Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a small saute pan or skillet over high heat, heat the oil and saute the scallops and lemongrass or zest together for 2 minutes, or until half cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the kataifi into 8 bundles. Place one bundle on a work surface. Cross it with a second bundle. Place 2 scallops on each blanched won bok leaf. Carefully wrap the scallops in the leaf. Place the scallop packet on the center of the shredded dough. Wrap the dough around the packet. Gather at the top and secure in place with a small strip of aluminum foil to form a pouch. Repeat to make 4 pouches. Place the pouches in a pie pan and bake 20 minutes, until browned.
To serve: Pool lobster sauce on each plate. Place a phyllo pouch on each pool of sauce. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and chilies. Drizzle chili oil over the sauce.