Kula Vegetable Torte
Studded with colorful carrots, beans, peppers, and broccoli and bound with ricotta cheese, the Kula vegetable torte is a delicious way to serve vegetables. This also makes a wonderful luncheon dish.
- Broccoli florets - 2 cups
- Green Beans - 2 cups
- Carrots - 2 cups, peeled, sliced
- Canola oil - 1/4 cup
- Fresh Ginger - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Onions - 2 cups, hinly sliced
- White Sesame Seeds - 2 tablespoons, roasted
- Garlic Cloves - 2, minced
- Eggs - 3, beaten
- Ricotta cheese - 1 pound
- Fresh Cilantro - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Puff Pastry - 2-1/2 sheets, thawed
- Red Bell Peppers - 2 cups, large, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut in julienne
- Egg Yolk - 1
- Cool Water - 2 tablespoons
- Poppy Seeds - 2 tablespoons
Blanch the broccoli in boiling salted water for 2 minutes; drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside in a medium bowl. Blanch the green beans the same way for 2 minutes or until al dente; drain and chill, then drain again. In a medium saute pan or skillet over medium heat, saute the carrots in 2 tablespoons of the oil for 3 to 4 minutes, until barely tender. Stir in the ginger and set aside.
In a medium saute pan, saute the onions in the remaining oil for 2 minutes, or until translucent. Drain any liquid from the vegetables and blot them with paper towels. Toss the broccoli with the sesame seeds. Toss the green beans with the garlic. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
Line a 10-inch springform pan with 2 sheets of puff pastry. Make 1 layer each of all the following: carrots, onions, green beans, half the ricotta cheese mixture, broccoli, peppers, and remaining ricotta cheese mixture, pressing each layer firmly into the pan. Cut 1/2-inch strips of dough from the remaining puff pastry. Cover the top of the torte with a lattice, using the strips. Combine the egg yolk and water to make an egg wash and brush the strips with it. Sprinkle with the poppy seeds. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425 F. Bake the torte for 50 minutes, or until well browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 to 3 hours. Unmold the torte from the springform pan and cut into 8 slices.