These “ravioli” are made with slices of grilled medium-rare lamb layered with ratatouille. At Arcadia this is served as an appetizer, but it could also be an elegant summer entree if accompanied with a larger portion of greens and a potato or pasta salad.
- Marinated Lamb Loin
- Juniper berries - 2 tablespoons
- Black peppercorns - 2 tablespoons
- Garlic Cloves - 2
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Kosher salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Boneless lamb loin - two, 8-ounce
- Olive Oil - 3 tablespoons
- Shallots - 2, minced
- Onion - 1, chopped
- Garlic Cloves - 2, minced
- Eggplant - 1, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Red Bell Pepper - 1, seeded, deribbed, and chopped
- Zucchini - 1, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tomato Paste - 1/2 cup
- Mixed baby greens
To prepare the lamb: Place the juniper berries, peppercorns, and garlic in a blender or small food processor and chop coarsely. Add the olive oil and salt and blend until the mixture becomes a coarse paste. Spread the paste evenly over the lamb loins. marinate the lamb for 2 hours at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
To make the ratatouille: Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, onions, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the eggplant, red pepper, and zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook the vegetables over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender. Add the tomato puree and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes.