Lime-crusted Trout with Jicama-Mango Relish
Lime zest adds zing to sauteed rainbow trout. Jicama-mango relish, a slaw of crisp jicama, mango, and red bell pepper with jalapeno and cilantro for a southwestern flavor, is served with the fish. The southwestern tomato-tomatillo vinaigrette laced over the plate also adds a southwest taste.
- panko (fine Japanese bread crumbs) - 3 cups
- Zest of 2 limes
- Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Freshly ground pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Shallot - 1, peeled
- Flour - 1 cup
- Rainbow Trout - 4 large, trimmed, skinned, and boned, or 8 trout fillets
- Salt for sprinkling
- Eggs - 2, lightly beaten
- Unsalted Butter - 4 tablespoons
- Jicama-Mango Relish
- Jicama - 6 ounces, peeled and julienned
- Mango - 1, peeled and julienned
- Red Bell Pepper - 1, peeled, seeded, and julienned
- Green Jalapenos - 4, seeded and diced
- Cilantro - 1/2 bunch, lightly chopped
- Lime Juice - 1 tablespoon
- Tomato-Tomatillo Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Cilantro Sprigs - 4
- Tomato-Tomatillo Vinaigrette
- Tomato - 1 medium, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Tomatillo - 1, peeled and chopped
- Shallot - 1, chopped
- Garlic Cloves - 2
- Cilantro - 1 sprig, stemmed
- Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Olive oil - 3/4 cup
To prepare the trout: In a food processor, grind the bread crumbs, lime zest, salt, pepper, and shallot together. Spread the crumb mixture and the flour on separate plates. Lay the trout on a work surface and cut in half, into individual fillets. Feel for pin bones with the tips of your fingers; pull out any pin bones with needle-nosed pliers. Season the cleaned trout fillets on both sides with salt. Dredge each fillet in flour, then dip in the beaten egg, then roll in the bread crumb mixture. Pack the bread crumb mixture onto the fillets. The trout can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours at this point.
In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Lower the heat to medium and saute the trout fillets until golden brown on each side, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not let the fillets touch in the pan; if necessary, saute them in batches. Remove and drain on paper towels.
To prepare the relish: Toss all ingredients together.
To serve: Drizzle tomato-tomatillo vinaigrette over the surface of the plates. Mound relish on one side of each plate and place 2 fillets against each. Put a little more relish over the end of the fillets resting on the relish. Top each with a cilantro sprig.
Put all ingredients except the olive oil in a processor and puree. Remove and put into a non-aluminum bowl. Whisking continually, add the oil in a thin stream. Whisk until completely incorporated.