Marble Fudge Brownies
The best brownies are dense, rich, and loaded with chocolate. These fit the bill perfectly, and the swirl of cream cheese adds a visual and flavor contrast to the chocolate.
- Unsweetened cocoa for dusting
- Fudge Mixture
- Unsalted Butter - 9 tablespoons
- Semisweet Chocolate - 4 ounces, good-quality, chopped
- Eggs - 2
- Sugar - 3⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon
- All-Purpose Flour - 1⁄2 cup
- Pinch of salt
- Cream Cheese Mixture
- Cream Cheese - 1 8-ounce package, at room temperature
- Sugar - 1⁄4 cup
- Vanilla Extract - 1⁄2 teaspoon
- Egg - 1
- Chocolate Sauce - (optional; see Basics)
- Vanilla Ice Cream - 4 scoops (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting - (optional)
To make the fudge mixture: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter four 4-by-1-inch round molds and dust with the cocoa. In a double boiler over barely simmering water melt the butter and chocolate, stirring to combine thoroughly. Set aside to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined. Add the chocolate mixture and stir well to incorporate. Stir in the flour and salt until blended, but do not overmix.
To make the cream cheese mixture: In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar until well blended. Add the vanilla and egg and continue to beat until smooth.
Fill the prepared molds three-fourths full with the chocolate mixture, then top off with cream cheese. Using a fork, swirl the layers 2 or 3 times, using a folding motion. Be careful not to overmix or to scrape the sides or bottom of the pan, or the brownies could stick.
Bake the brownies for 35 minutes or until the tops are golden and the centers are somewhat firm. Let cool on a wire rack and unmold. Serve with chocolate sauce and your favorite ice cream, or dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Note: The brownies may be made 1 day in advance and kept at room temperature, tightly covered with plastic wrap.