Plump oysters lend a fresh sea taste to a delicately-flavored cream soup. This is one of the favorites at Brennan’s French Quarter Restaurant.
- Unsalted Butter - 1 cup
- Garlic - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Celery - 2 cups, minced
- Green Onions - 1 cup, minced
- Bay Leaves - 4
- Flour - 1-1/4 cups
- Oysters - 4 dozen, large, freshly shucked
- Oyster Water - 12 cups (oyster liquor plus enough water to make 12 cups)
- Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Freshly ground white pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Parsley - 2 tablespoons, minced
Melt the butter over medium heat in a 6-quart heavy saucepan or pot. Saute the garlic, celery, and green onions until tender but not browned, stirring frequently. Add the bay leaves and gradually stir in the flour. Cook 3 minutes longer, stirring constantly over low heat. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and scoop out the bay leaves with a slotted spoon; discard. Serve immediately.