Pasta with Mushrooms and Foie Gras
Two extraordinary culinary pleasures — forest mushrooms and foie gras — are combined in this elegant pasta dish.
- Shiitake Mushrooms - 12 ounces, or a combination of wild and domestic mushrooms
- Shiitake and Black trumpet mushrooms - 4 each
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Celery - 1 cup, 1/4-inch, diced
- Carrot - 1 cup, 1/4-inch, diced, peeled
- Shallot - 1-1/2 teaspoons, minced
- Chicken Stock - 2-1/2 cups
- Heavy (whipping) cream - 2 cups
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive Oil - 1 tablespoons
- Salt - 1 teaspoon, plus salt to taste
- Tricallini (tiny bow-tie) Pasta - 8 ounces
- Fresh foie gras - 4 ounces, 1-inch-thick
- Truffle juice (optional)
- Fresh Chives - 1 tablespoon, snipped, or minced fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
To prepare the sauce: Remove and reserve the stems of all the mushrooms. Thinly slice and set aside the four shiitake and four black mushroom cups. Mince or grind the stems and enough of the caps to measure 1 cup; set aside. Chop the remaining mushroom caps.
In a large saute pan or skillet over high heat, heat the oil and saute the celery, carrot, and shallot until soft but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the 1 cup minced or ground stems and caps, the chopped mushroom caps, and the chicken stock. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes. Add the cream, stir, and cook over medium heat until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Strain the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Set aside; keep warm.
To cook the pasta: Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pasta. Cook until al dente, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain again and set aside.
Meanwhile, to prepare the foie gras: Season the foie gras with salt and pepper and cut it into 1/2-inch dice. Heat a large, dry, nonstick pan over high heat and cook the foie gras until browned on all sides, a total of about 1 minute. Keep warm in a low oven.
In a medium saute pan or skillet over medium heat, warm the strained cream sauce until bubbly, add the sliced mushroom caps and cooked pasta, and cook over low heat, stirring, until warmed throughout. Add the truffle juice and chives or parsley, and adjust the seasoning.
To serve: Spoon the pasta into shallow pasta bowls and place some of the foie gras on top of each serving.