Pheasant in Wild Mushroom Cream Sauce
Pheasant breasts are pan-seared then served in a cream sauce of reduced veal stock and mushrooms. Fresh steamed vegetables are layered into a mold and topped with parmesan as a perfect final touch to this entree.
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Spinach - 1 pound
- Tomato - 1, diced
- Shallots - 1/3 cup, minced
- Garlic - 1/4 cup, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Yellow Squash - 1 pound, thinly sliced, lightly steamed
- Carrots - 1 pound, thinly sliced, lightly steamed
- Zucchini - 1 pound, thinly sliced, lightly steamed
- Fresh parmesan - 1/3 cup, grated
- Unsalted Butter - 1/4 cup
- * Pheasant breast supremes - 6, (alt. chicken)
- Morel Mushrooms - 6 ounces, diagonally sliced
- Shiitake Mushrooms - 6 ounces, diagonally sliced
- Oyster Mushrooms - 6 ounces, diagonally sliced
- Reduced Veal Stock - 3 cups (see Cooking Basics)
- Heavy Cream - 1-1/2 cups
To prepare the vegetables: Preheat the oven to 350 F. In large skillet over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add spinach and cook until just wilted, but still green. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the skillet and set aside to keep warm. Place the tomatoes into the skillet; add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and half of the shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes somewhat dry. Remove from heat and reserve. Using a 3-inch diameter ring, layer spinach, yellow squash, carrot, tomato mixture, and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper; compact layers by pressing down gently. Repeat process to create 5 more vegetable molds. Sprinkle each with parmesan cheese. Remove rings and place molds into the oven until lightly browned and hot, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve in a warm place.
To prepare the pheasant: Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat, heat the butter; place pheasant breasts, skin side down, into the skillet. Sear breasts on each side until nicely browned. Add the mushrooms and reserved garlic and shallots. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, then add reduced veal stock and bring to a boil. Add the cream, stirring to combine. Place the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes. Halfway through cooking, turn breasts over. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve: Slice wings from each pheasant breast; place one to the side of each serving plate. Slice each breast into thirds and place next to the wing on each serving plate. Add molded vegetables; spoon mushrooms and sauce over all.
*Supremes are boneless poultry breasts with one wing (usually frenched) still attached.