Potato salad is one of the side dishes most often served with ribs and barbecue in Texas. This one, made by marinating the potatoes, is particularly delicious. Choose your own favorite barbecue sauce to put in the recipe.
- Idaho Baking Potatoes - 5 large
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Celery Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Onion - 1 large, peeled and finely diced
- Dill Pickles - 1/2 cup juice drained from dill pickles
- Barbecue Sauce - 1/3 cup
- Vinaigrette Salad Dressing - 1/3 cup
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 to 1 cup, to taste
The day before serving, scrub the potatoes and boil them in lightly salted water until tender but still slightly firm when pierced with the point of a knife; they should not be mushy. Plunge them into ice water. When cool enough to handle, drain and peel them. Cut into 3/4-inch dice. Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, and celery seed. Add the onion and the pickle juice. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for a few hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
Drain the juice. Add the barbecue sauce and salad dressing, tossing to coat evenly. Place back in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
To serve: Add the mayonnaise to the salad and toss gently. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.