Salad of Sapote, Mango, Avocado, Papaya, and Jícama with Key Lime-Guava Vinaigrette
A simple fruit salad mixture is tossed in a dressing that combines key lime and guava for a tropical taste. The sapote used in the recipe is a tropical fruit that has peach, avocado, and vanilla notes in its flavor. Many large markets will carry it; if you can’t find it, peach or nectarine may be substituted.
- Guava Coulis
- Unsalted Butter - 2 teaspoons
- Guavas - 3, peeled and roughly chopped
- Sugar - 2 teaspoons
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Key Lime, Guava, and Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Key lime juice - 3 tablespoons
- Grapeseed Oil - 7 tablespoons
- Poppy Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Guava coulis - 1 tablespoon
- Sapote - 1, peeled and diced
- Mango - 1, peeled, pitted, and diced
- Avocado - 1, peeled, pitted, and diced
- Papaya - 1/4, peeled and julienned
- Jicama - 1, peeled and julienned
- Coconut Shavings - 2 cups, loosely packed
- Mint - 1 sprig, stemmed and julienned
To make the coulis: Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat and toss the guava pieces in the butter to coat. Cook 1 minute, tossing to prevent the guava from sticking. Add the sugar and one half of the water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the guava is soft. Puree with the remaining water in a blender or food processor and strain through a fine-meshed sieve into a small bowl. Put in a squeeze bottle and set aside.
To make the vinaigrette: Place the lime juice in a small glass or stainless steel bowl and gradually add the grapeseed oil, whisking constantly to incorporate. Whisk in the salt and pepper. Add the poppy seeds and whisk again. Set aside.
To prepare the garnish: Preheat the broiler. Spread the coconut shavings on a baking sheet and toast until slightly browned, about 1 minute. Remove and set aside to cool.
To serve: Whisk 1 tablespoon of the guava coulis into the vinaigrette. Toss the sapote, mango, and avocado with two tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Place a 2-inch ring mold on each plate and fill with diced fruit, pressing down slightly. Lift the molds. Place the julienned papaya and jicama around the plates and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Drizzle the plates with guava coulis. Top the fruit with toasted coconut and garnish each plate with mint.