This simple salad, bright with lime juice and the sharp taste of tomatillos and coriander, combines some of the fresh produce for which California is known. Tomatillos add an authentic note; see if you can find them. Remove the husks before slicing. Prepare the avocados at the last minute, so that they are coated with lime juice before they have a chance to turn brown.
- Hearts of 2 heads of Romaine
- Tomatillos - 4, sliced, or fresh green tomatoes, sliced
- Tomatoes - 2 medium, sliced
- Avocados - 2, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Fresh lime juice - 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
- Coriander - 1 bunch
Place the Romaine, tomatillos, tomatoes, and avocado slices in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the lime juice and olive oil, but do not toss.
To serve: Divide among chilled serving plates. Garnish with coriander to taste.