Salmon Burger Provençal
This dish can be described as a warm salmon tartare, or a fish version of the most flavorful hamburger you ever ate. It is easy to prepare, and it may be grilled to add another dimension of flavor.
- Salmon fillets - 1-1/4 pounds, skinned
- Nonpareil Capers - 1 tablespoon, drained and rinsed
- Shallot - 1-1/2 teaspoons, minced
- Fresh Parsley - 1-1/2 teaspoons, minced
- Fresh Tarragon - 1-1/2 teaspoons, minced
- Fresh basil - 2 tablespoons, minced, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tomato Sauce - 1-1/4 cups, preferably homemade
- Black-olive Paste or Tapenade - 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil - 3 tablespoons
Coarsely chop the salmon fillets by hand or in a food processor using a pulsing action. Place the salmon in a medium bowl and add the capers, shallot, parsley, tarragon, 1 tablespoon of the basil, and the salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts and shape into burgers. Set aside.
Place the tomato sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add the olive paste or tapenade and the remaining basil. Simmer the sauce for 2 minutes; set aside and keep warm.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan or skillet over high heat until it is almost smoking. Add the burgers and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Remove the burgers with a spatula and drain on paper towels.
To serve: Spoon warm sauce on four serving plates and top with a salmon burger.