Sautéed Softshell Crab in Cilantro-Butter Sauce
- Soft-shell crabs - 8 medium
- All-Purpose Flour - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 3 beaten
- Butter - 1/2 pound (2 sticks)
- Shallot - 1/4 cup, chopped
- White Wine - 4 ounces (1/2 cup)
- Heavy (whipping) cream - 4 ounces (1/2 cup)
- Cilantro Leaves - 2 tablespoons, chopped
- Oyster Mushrooms - 4 ounces (1/2 cup), chopped , or other mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
Clean the crabs under the shell and season with salt and pepper. Dust with flour, then dip in beaten egg. Melt 1 stick of the butter and sauté the crabs until golden on both sides. Remove and drain on towels. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and sauté the shallot. Add the wine and cream and reduce until thick enough to coat a spoon. Add the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in 4 to 5 tablespoons of the remaining butter, one tablespoon at a time. Keep warm. In another pan, cook the mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of butter. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve: Place the soft-shell crabs on a dinner plate and top with cilantro-butter sauce. Garnish with mushrooms. Suggested side dishes are rice or boiled new potatoes.