Sea Scallop Appetizer
Sizzling golden scallops top bright green Bibb lettuce leaves. Mustard-flavored mayonnaise accompanies the scallops.
- Egg Yolks - 2
- Dijon mustard - 2 teaspoons
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Peanut Oil - 2 cups
- Red Wine Vinegar - 1 tablespoon, heated
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 teaspoon
- Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste
- Parsley - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Tarragon Leaves - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
- Unsalted Butter - 1/4 cup
- Scallops - 3 pounds
- Tarragon Leaves - 1 teaspoon, chopped
- Bibb Lettuce - 1 head, cleaned and separated into leaves
- Parsley - 3 tablespoons, minced
Blend the egg yolks, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. When the mixture is thick, whisk in the hot vinegar, Worcestershire, Tabasco, parsley, tarragon, and tomato paste.
Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the scallops with chopped tarragon, salt, and pepper. Saute the scallops in the butter for about 3 minutes, until just opaque throughout.
To serve: Arrange a bed of lettuce leaves on each salad plate. Divide the scallops among the plates. Spoon sauce on the side and garnish with minced parsley (optional).