Seared Peppered Salmon, Field Greens, and Beet Relish
Start one day ahead making the marinated salmon and vinaigrette. This is a salad, topped with flash-cooked marinated peppered salmon. The last minute preparation is dramatic and easy, so the dish makes a good company treat.
- Salmon fillets - two, 8-ounce, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Garlic Oil - 1/2 cup
- Sweet Vermouth - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Garlic Clove - 1, peeled
- Champagne Vinaigrette
- Dijon-style mustard - 1 tablespoon
- Garlic - 1 teaspoon, peeled, finely chopped
- Shallots - 1 teaspoon, peeled and finely chopped
- Juniper berries - 2 teaspoons
- Sugar - 2 tablespoons
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Freshly ground white pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Champagne Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Garlic Oil - 1 cup
- Beet Relish
- Beets - 1 cup, cooked and cubed in 1/4-inch dice
- Garlic Oil - 3 tablespoons
- Balsamic Vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Freshly ground white pepper - 1/8 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Field Greens
- Mixed Sprouts - 4 ounces
- Field Greens - 8 cups (mixture, as desired)
- Green Onions - 1/4 cup, sliced
- Yellow peppers - 1/4 cup, seeded, deribbed, and cut in 1/4-inch dice
To prepare the salmon: Combine all marinate ingredients with a whisk. Put the salmon strips in the marinade and refrigerate for 24 hours.
To prepare the relish: Combine all ingredients and marinate for 24 hours.
To serve: Remove the salmon strips from the marinade and drain. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Heat a heavy skillet or grill pan until smoking hot. Place the salmon in the pan, peppered-side down, and cook for 45 seconds. Remove from pan. The salmon with have a crusted, blackened appearance on one side.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the greens with the vinaigrette and toss. Place a mound of greens in the center of a chilled plate. Place the salmon strips around the greens at 2, 6, and 10 o’clock positions. Place the beet relish around the base of the salad and garnish with the peppers and green onions. Finish with 1 ounce of sprouts in the center of the salmon points atop the salad.