Seared Sea Scallop with Black Pudding, celery, tangerine and almond
- Fresh scallops - 8 PC U-10 Day, cleaned
- Celery root puree - (see below)
- Tangerine sauce - (see below)
- Tangerne vinaigrette - (see below)
- Black pudding - (see below)
- ALMOND-HERB SALAD - (see below)
- Olive oil, salt and pepper as needed
- Celery root puree
- Celery Root - 1 large, peeled and diced
- Cream - 1/4 cup
- Pinch - Xanthan gum
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Tangerine sauce
- TANGERINE JUICE - 3 cups
- FISH GLACE - ½ cup (alt. 2 ½ CUPS FUMET REDUCED TO ½ CUP)
- Veal Demi-Glace - 1/4 cup
- HEAVY CREAM - 1 cup
- SALT, PEPPER, LEMON JUICE TO TASTE
- Tangerine vinaigrette
- Tangerine juice - 1 cup, fresh squeezed
- Jean-Marc Mireille Citron Vinegar - 3 tablespoons
- Grapeseed Oil - 3/4 cup (alt. vegetable oil)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Soy lethicin - Pinch (optional)
- ALMOND-HERB SALAD
- Marcona almonds - 1/4 cup, lightly crushed
- Frisee - 1 head, cleaned and shredded
- Celery Leaves - ¼ cup
- Chervil leaves - ¼ cup
- Tangerine Zest - Zest of one tangerine
- Black pudding
- Lard - 1 tablespoon (alt. olive oil)
- Onion - 1 cup, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Port - 2 tablespoons (alt. SHERRY OR MADERIA)
- FENNEL SEED - 1/4 teaspoons
- CORIANDER SEED - 1/2 teaspoons
- MUSTARD SEED - 1 teaspoon
- CUMIN SEED - 1/2 teaspoons
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Red Pepper - 1/2 teaspoons, crushed
- Pork butt - 3/4 lb
- FAT BACK - 1/4 lb
- Pork Blood - 1 1/2 cup
- Cooked Rice - 1/4 cup
- Pearl Barley - 1/4 cup
- Steel Cut Rolled Oats - 1/4 cup
- Parsley - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Sage - 1/2 teaspoons
- Thyme - 1/2 teaspoons
- Oregano - 1/2 teaspoons
- Allspice - 1/4 teaspoons, ground
- Pate Spice - 1/2 teaspoons
- Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoons
- Paprika - 1/2 teaspoons
- Salt - 1 tablespoon
- Egg - 1
Put the celery root in a sous-vide bag and cook at 90 Celsius for about an hour OR until completely tender.
Open the bag and drain off any accumulated liquid. Put the celery root in a blender and puree with the cream, salt, white pepper and pinch of xanthan gum. Reserve warm.
Reduce the tangerine juice by half. Cool the juice and put it in a blender with the vinegar, a pinch of salt and the pinch of lethicin. Blend to combine.
Add the grape seed oil in a thin stream until emulsified. Add the olive oil at the very end.
Taste…it might need a splash more vinegar or a pinch of salt…or even a drop of honey.
Or perhaps all three.
This will depend on the flavor and quality of the tangerines you started with.
COMBINE IN A BOWL AND RESERVE.
SWEAT ONIONS AND GARLIC IN LARD 5 MIN. ADD PORT AND COOK 10 MIN. COOL TOAST THE SPICES AND GRIND.
COMBINE THE PORK, FAT BACK AND ONION MIX. GRIND IN A MEAT GRINDER WITH THE 1/4 IN PLATE.
ADD BLOOD, AND EVERYTHING ELSE.
MIX. POUR INTO LOAF PANS. WRAP WITH FOIL. BAKE WATER BATH AT 325 F FOR 1 1/2 HRS OR UNTIL AN INTERNAL TEMP OF 160 F IS REACHED. COOL OVER NIGHT. Cut the black pudding into rectangular blocks about ¾ of an inch by 3 inches. Reserve.
To finish the dish:
Season the scallops with salt and pepper and sear them in a hot pan. Cook them to medium or medium rare. Sear the blACK pudding in a pan and heat it through.
TOSS THE INGREDIENTS OF THE HERB SALAD IN A BOWL WITH A FEW TEASPOONS OF THE TANGERINE VINAIGRETTE. SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER.
On a plate, put down some of the WARM celery root puree AND Top it with a piece of the black pudding. PLACE A SEARED SCALLOP NEXT TO THE BLACK PUDDING. TOP THE BLACK PUDDING WITH A SMALL TANGLE OF THE ALMOND-HERB SALAD. SPOON SOME OF THE TANGERINE SAUCE AROUND.