Spicy Grilled Quail with Leeks
Marinated grilled quail, spiced with Asian spices, are served atop greens dressed with a lighter version of the marinade. Star anise and Chinese five-spice powder may be found in many large groceries, or in Asian or specialty markets.
- Gingerroot - 1 teaspoon, minced
- Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon, minced
- Orange Juice - 1/2 cup, or juice of 2 whole oranges
- Medium-dry sherry - 1/4 cup
- Soy Sauce - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 tablespoon
- Star Anise - 2 whole
- Coriander seed - 1/2 cup
- Fennel Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chinese Five-Spice Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Pepper Flakes - 1/2 teaspoon
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Quails - 8 fresh, boned and sleeved
- Leeks - 2 medium, trimmed and blanched for 3 minutes
- Potatoes - 4, cut 1/2-inch thick in half-moon shapes and blanched 3 to 4 minutes
- Italian Red Peppers - 4 mild, sliced lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons, for brushing
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup, for brushing
- Salad Greens - 4 cups torn mixed, rinsed and dried
To prepare the marinade and dressing: Place the ginger and garlic in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, whisking in the olive oil as you add. Divide the marinade in half, reserving half for salad dressing.
To prepare the quail: Put the quail and half of the marinade in a plastic bag or glass dish and marinate for about 30 minutes.
Prepare a grill for direct heat cooking: Light a charcoal grill and let the coals burn until covered with light grey ash. Or, light a gas grill according to manufacturer’s directions. Place the cooking grate on top and let it heat for a minute or two until hot.
Season the leeks, potatoes, and peppers with salt and pepper; brush them with olive oil. Place the vegetables on the grill and grill for 3 minutes; turn and grill for 1 minute. Move the vegetables to a warming rack.
Remove the quails from the marinade and drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Place in the center of the cooking grate. Grill 10 to 15 minutes, or until done through, turning once half-way through the grilling time. Remove the quails and vegetables from the grill.
To serve: Whisk 1/4 cup of olive oil into the reserved marinade to make a light dressing. Add greens and toss to coat; divide the greens among four serving plates. Arrange equal amounts of leeks, potatoes, and red peppers on each plate. Place 2 quails on top and drizzle with additional dressing.