Tuna steaks are dredged in cumin and grilled, then nestled in a bed of fresh sauteed vegetables, including Chinese broccoli. The chef’s Lemon Confit can be used to add a bright note to many dishes.
- Tuna Steaks - four, 8-ounce
- Ground Cumin
- Sesame Oil - 4 tablespoons
- Chinese broccoli - 1/2 pound, chopped
- Baby bok choy - 4
- Shiitake Mushrooms - 1 cup, sliced
- Red Pepper - 1, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- Yellow Pepper - 1, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- Baby Corn - 8
- Baby Carrots - 8
- Fresh Ginger - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Fresh Cilantro - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Scallions - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Black bean garlic paste - 1 tablespoon, minced
- Soy Sauce - 4 tablespoons
- Rice Wine Vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Lemon Confit (recipe below) - 1 tablespoon
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Black Sesame Seeds - toasted
- Pomegranates - chopped
- Lemon confit (recipe below)
- Cooked soba noodles - 1 cup, deep fried
- Lemon Confit (Makes 3/4 cup)
- Sugar - 2 tablespoons
- Salt - 2 tablespoons
- Lemons Zest - Zest from 4 lemons
To prepare the tuna steaks: Start a charcoal fire and oil a grill. Dredge the tuna steaks in ground cumin. When the coals are lightly covered with white ash, place the grill over the coals and let it heat. When hot, put the steaks on the preheated grill and grill 3 minutes on first side, then turn the steaks and grill 2 minutes on the other side. Remove from grill and reserve in a warm place.
To prepare the vegetables: In a large saute pan over medium high heat, heat sesame oil to very hot. Add the Chinese broccoli, baby bok choy, mushrooms, baby corn, baby carrots, and peppers. Saute 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ginger, cilantro, scallions, and garlic; saute an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and lemon confit; continue to saute until heated through, about 30 seconds. Season with freshly ground pepper. Remove from heat.
To serve: Slice the tuna steaks against the grain into 1/4-inch slices. Place sauteed vegetables in the center of each serving plate; place tuna slices on top of vegetables in a tic-tac-toe stack. Garnish with pomegranates, black sesame seeds, and lemon confit. Top with deep-fried soba noodles.
Combine and put into a nonaluminum bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Store at room temperature.