Acorn Squash Soup
This soup could not be easier, nor prettier. The chef cuts the tops off the squash and removes the seeds, then stands them individually in small bowls. Chicken stock is poured into the squash, mushrooms and scallops are added, and the lids are replaced. The squash steam in a wok, hands-off. At the last minute, a spoonful of crab meat is added. At Trey Yuen the garnish the soup with cabbage shards and decorative discs of yellow squash, cucumber, and carrot.
- Acorn Squash - 2 large
- Chicken Stock - 4 cups
- Dried Mushrooms - 4, soaked in 1/2 cup of water and pressed dry
- Scallops - 4
- Crab Meat - 2 tablespoons
- White Cabbage - 1/4 small, thinly sliced into narrow shreds, for garnish
- Yellow Squash - 1, seeded and decoratively cut, for garnish
- Cucumber - 1, decoratively cut in scalloped circles or matchstick julienne, for garnish
- Carrot - 1, decoratively cut in scalloped circles or matchstick julienne, for garnish
Cut the tops from the squash. Remove the seeds with a spoon. Stand each squash in a small bowl. Pour the chicken stock into the inside of the squash. Add 2 mushrooms and 2 scallops to each squash. Replace the tops of the squash. Pour water into the bowls to a depth of 1/4 inch.
Place the bowls in a covered wok over medium heat and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the lids of the squash bowls and add 1 tablespoon of crab meat to each squash bowl. Replace the lids and steam for 3 to 4 minutes.
Place a squash bowl in each of two shallow soup plates. Garnish the soup with the cabbage, yellow squash, cucumber, and carrot.