America is famous for its fruit crisps: fruit and sugar topped with streusel and baked until the fruit forms its own irresistible sauce and the streusel is golden brown and crisp. Here chef Barlow combines apples and raspberries for exceptional flavor.
- Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples - 4, peeled, cored, and diced (about 2 cups)
- Fresh or Frozen Raspberries - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1-1/2 cups
- Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick), at room temperature
- Margarine - 1/2 cup (1 stick), at room temperature
- All-Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Ice cream or whipped cream for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, mix together the apples, raspberries, and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Spread evenly in a greased 10-inch cake pan. In a medium bowl, knead together the butter, margarine, remaining 1 cup sugar, and flour until crumbly. Sprinkle over the fruit. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.