- Yield: 4
Ecuadorian Shrimp Ceviche
This fresh-tasting ceviche starts with shrimp which are blanched. The lime juice is added as close as possible to serving time. The dish gets its spicy heat from jalapenos and Tabasco; roasting the vegetables adds depth to the flavor. The chef adds a whimsical touch with a garnish of cornnuts and popcorn.
- Shrimp - 1 LB, peeled and cleaned
- Large Tomato - 1, roasted and seeded
- Red Bell Peppers - 2, roasted and seeded
- Green Bell Peppers - 1, roasted and seeded
- Jalapeno Peppers - 2, roasted
- Medium Onion - 1/2, roasted
- Lime Juice - 3/4 cup, fresh
- Orange Juice - 1/2 cup, fresh
- Ketchup - 1/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Scallions - 2, white and green parts, chopped
- Red Onion - 1 small, sliced in thin rings
- Cilantro - 4 whole (alt. 2 culantro leaves), cut in chiffonade
- Avacado - 1
- Tomato - 1 large, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Cornnuts - 1/2 cup
- Popcorn - 1 cup, popped
- Chives - 4, chopped
- Cilantro - 4 (alt. culantro leaves)
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add the shrimp all at once. Let the water return to a rolling boil; the shrimp will begin to curl.Immediately drain into a colander, then plunge the shrimp into ice water. Let chill; remove and pat dry.
Place the tomato, peppers, onion, lime juice, orange juice, ketchup, and hot pepper sauce in a blender and puree. Season to taste with salt. Place the shrimp in a large bowl and pour the sauce over them; toss to cover. Add the chopped scallions, one half of the sliced onion rings, cilantro or culantro.
To serve: Remove the pit from the avocado, remove the skin, and cut into 4 long wedges. Slice each wedge into thin pieces, keeping the pieces together. Lift one of the sliced wedges, holding it together with your hands, and place it to one side of the plate. With your hands, slide the pieces apart slightly, creating a wall of sliced avocado. Repeat with the remaining plates. Spoon the ceviche in the center of the plates and pour extra sauce over each plate. Top the ceviche with the remaining onion rings. Sprinkle tomato cubes, corn nuts, and popcorn around the plate. Top with chives and a cilantro or culantro leaf.