Roast Quail with Cornbread/Pickled Mirliton dressing and Mayhaw Gatrique
- Quails - 4, semi boneless
- Mayhaw jelly - 1/2 cup
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Cornbread/Mirliton Dressing (see recipe below)
- Salt and Pepper or Favorite seasoning
- Cornbread Dressing w/ Mirliton
- Cornbread - 1 pan – crumbled and dried out a bit (see recipe)
- Butter - ¼ lb. – in all
- Mirliton - 1/2 lb, pickled and diced
- Onions - 2 cups, finely diced
- Celery - 2 cups, finely diced
- Red sweet pepper - 1 large, finely diced
- Carrots - 2 medium, grated
- Chicken stock - 3 cups
- Salt - 2 teaspoons
- Fresh ground pepper - 1 teaspoon
- cayenne pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Bay Leaves - 2, whole
- Flat leaf parsley - 2 tablespoons, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle Salt and Pepper or your favorite seasoning on the inside of the quail. Stuff cooled cornbread dressing (see recipe) inside of cavity of the quail birds and place in shallow roasting pan. Roast birds for approximately 20 minutes or until the inside if the bird reaches 165 degrees. Remove from pan and deglaze with cider vinegar and then add Mayhaw jelly. Cover Mayhaw mixture over the Quail birds and serve.
Cornbread Dressing w/ Mirliton
Brown butter in a deep pan. Add 1c.onions and 1c.celery. Cook until vegetables are a little soft and then add the the diced peppers. Continue cooking until vegetables are almost browned. Add the remaining vegetables and cook till the vegetables are soft. Add salt, the black pepper, cayenne and bay leaves. Then stir in stock; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and add crumbled corn bread, gently fold everything together with the chopped parsley. Put into a 4 quart, buttered casserole and dot the remaining 2 Tblsp. of butter on top. Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes or until browned.
Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl. Combine the two until just mixed. Pour into an oiled 10” cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes at 375° until golden brown.