Cane Vodka-Pineapple Upside-down Cake with Passion Fruit Yogurt SorbetOctober 4, 2015 • By Great Chefs
Cane Vodka-Pineapple Upside-down Cake with Passion Fruit Yogurt Sorbet
By Great Chefs October 4, 2015
This pineapple upside down cake is prepared with cane vodka and sour cream. Caramelized pineapple chunks and passion fruit yogurt sorbet make this dessert unforgettable.Granny Smith apples, pears, plums, or cherries can be substituted in place of the pineapple for a different dessert.
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Pineapple - 1 large, ripe, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- Unsalted Butter - 1 1/2 cups
- Brown Sugar - 1 cup
- Savanna Royal Cane Vodka - 3 tablespoons
- All Purpose Flour - 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder - 2 teaspoons
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Savanna Royal Cane Vodka - 1 tablespoon
- Sour Cream - 1 cup
- Salted Butter - 1/2 cup
- Granulated Sugar - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Passion Fruit Yogurt Sorbet
- Water - 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- Granulated Sugar - 2 1/4 cups
- Trimoline or honey - 1/4 cup
- Plain Yogurt - 7 cups
- Passion fruit puree - 3/4 cup
- Orange Juice - 1/2 cup
- Marinated Pineapple Chunks (recipe follows)
- Mint leaves - 6 - 8, cut in chiffonade
- Pulled Sugar Decorations (optional)
- Marinated Pineapple Chunks
- Pineapple - 1, pared, cored, eyes removed, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Cane Vodka - 1/2 cup
- Simple Syrup (see Cooking Basics) - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1/4 cup
To prepare the sorbet: In a large saucepan over medium high heat, cook the water, sugar, and the trimoline or honey until they are dissolved and have formed a light and clear syrup. Add the remaining ingredients. Place this mixture into an ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
To prepare the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place diced pineapple into a sieve and drain. Place pineapple into 4-inch ring molds. In a large saute pan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and stir to blend. Add the cane vodka; cook the mixture until it begins to show signs of thickening. Immediately remove from heat and pour over the pineapple in the molds. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. In a large mixer, cream the butter with the sugar; once properly creamed, add the eggs. Add the sour cream, followed by the vodka. Slowly add the dry ingredients, a third at a time, to ensure proper mixing. Scrape sides of mixer bowl with a spatula to be sure all ingredients have incorporated. Place this mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a number 3 plain tube. Starting at the center of each mold, pipe the prepared mixture into molds on top of caramel and pineapple. Tap molds to loosen any air pockets. Bake for 20 minutes.
To serve: Unmold warm cakes onto serving plates. Spoon marinated pineapple chunks around cakes; garnish with fresh mint chiffonade. Place a scoop of sorbet on top of cakes. If desired, garnish with pulled sugar decorations.
Marinated Pineapple Chunks
Combine all ingredients in a nonaluminum container. Toss to coat; cover and set aside to marinate for at least 8 hours. Chunks and syrup may be used together or separately.